- Pall Ragnar Johannesson was appointed as Oculis CEO in May 2015.Páll Ragnar Jóhannesson, M.Phil.Chief Executive Officer
Prior to joining Oculis, Mr. Johannesson served as Managing Director of Straumur Investment Bank Corporate Finance. Mr. Johannesson worked for Islandsbanki, and its predecessor Glitnir Bank, in Corporate Finance and Business Development before joining Straumur Investment Bank in early 2012.
Mr. Johannesson has a broad sector experience, having managed and advised on transactions within multiple industries. This includes pharmaceuticals, venture capital, energy, financials, and various manufacturing industries. Mr. Johannesson’s transaction type experience includes among other IPOs, private placements, M&A and restructurings.
Mr. Johannesson has a B.Sc. in Industrial Engineering from the University of Iceland, M.Phil in Management Science from the University of Cambridge
and is a certified securities broker in Iceland.
- Dr. Einar Stefansson co-founded Oculis in 2003 and has since then been on the Company’s Board of Directors, thereof as chairman since 2015.Einar Stefánsson, MD, Ph.D Chief Medical Officer, co-founder
Dr. Stefansson is a leading physician in the field of diabetic eye disease
and diabetic eye screening. He has served on advisory boards for some of the leading global pharmaceutical companies.
Dr. Stefansson received a degree in medicine from University of Iceland Medical School and a Ph.D. degree from Duke University followed by residency and faculty position at Duke. He has served as Vice Dean and Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Iceland and served as Professor and Chair of the Department of Ophthalmology at the National University Hospital Iceland for the past 25 years. He has co-founded four biotechnology firms in addition to Oculis, including Cyclops which was acquired by DeCode Genetics in 2000.
Dr. Stefansson is chief editor of Acta Ophthalmologica since 2005, on the editorial board of Progress in Retinal and Eye research, the European Journal of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmologica, board member of EVER and former board member of EURETINA and Club Jules Gonin. He is former fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and fellow of ARVO, EVER, Michaelson Club and the Icelandic Ophthalmological Society. He has published more than 200 peer reviewed international publications, more than 300 abstracts, numerous book chapters and patents.
Dr. Stefansson was knighted by the President of Iceland in 2007, received Iceland’s highest award in science in 2008, gave the Jules Gonin lecture in 2008, received the Synsfonden award in Denmark in 2006 and was elected to the European Academy of Ophthalmology (with gold medal) in 2009. He has received the Mooney Medal of the Irish College of Ophthalmology (2012) and Bjerrum medal of the Danish Ophthalmological Society (2014) among other honours.
- Rene Ruckert is a medical doctor, a trained immunologist, board certified in biochemistry, and a business leader with a master in business administration and more than 18 years’ in leadership roles in the pharma industry, as pharma consultant and in basic research. He previously established the Ophthalmology franchise for Bayer and led development of Eylea and he was the global program medical director for Ophthalmology, overseeing global Lucentis clinical developments at Novartis.Rene Ruckert, MD, MBAChief Operating Officer
- Gudrun M. Asgrimsdottir joined Oculis in 2010 from GSK where she served as sales & marketing manager for various therapeutic areas e.g. oncology, cardiology and osteoporosis. Since joining Oculis, Ms. Asgrimsdottir has been responsible for managing the Company’s clinical and regulatory affairs. Ms. Asgrimsdottir is a co-author of 4 papers published by the Oculis group.Gudrun Marta Asgrimsdottir, M.Sc.Chief R&D Officer
Ms. Asgrimsdottir received a masters degree in pharmaceutical sciences from the University of Iceland in 1997. Upon completing her studies, Ms. Asgrimsdottir joined the R&D department of Omega Farma where she was primarily responsible for analytical method development and preparation of dossiers.
In 2000 Ms. Asgrimsdottir joined the team of new product introduction & product development at GlaxoWellcome UK. She also has 4 years experience as a clinical pharmacist in the UK and completed a Diploma in Pharmacy Practice from University of London.
- Thorsteinn Loftsson co-founded Oculis in 2003 and has since then been on the Company’s Board of Directors.Thorsteinn Loftsson, Ph.D.Chief Scientific Officer, co-founder
Dr. Loftsson is a leading scientist in the field of cyclodextrin based drug delivery. He has served as an advisor to many of the global pharmaceutical companies on drug formulations and IP rights. He co-founded and served as CEO of the biotechnology company Cyclops ehf. from 1994 until it was acquired by DeCode Genetics in 2000. At that time, Dr. Loftsson took on the role of a scientific advisor at Decode Genetics (until 2004).
Dr. Loftsson received an MS degree in Pharmacy from the University of Copenhagen, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and a MS and Ph.D. degrees in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from the University of Kansas, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. He has served as Assistant, Associated and full Professor on the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Iceland for the past 36 years. In 1980 to 1996, he served as an Adjunct Associate Professor and later Adjunct Professor at the College of Pharmacy, University of Florida.
Dr. Loftsson has authored and co-authored over 220 peer-reviewed papers in addition to couple of books and number of book chapters. He is a fellow of the AAPS and is on the editorial boards of Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, International Journal of Pharmaceuticals, Journal of drug Delivery Science and Technology, Die Pharmazie and Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. In 2014, he was recognised as one of the World's Most Influential Scientific Minds by Thomson Reuters.
- Gauti Jóhannesson is an ophthalmologist and glaucoma specialist at the Department of Ophthalmology at Northern University Hospital in Umeå in Sweden. Since 2013 he is the head of the glaucoma section at the department. Gauti defended his thesis 2011 at Umeå university in the field of glaucoma and did his post doc at the Department of Ophthalmology at Landspitali University Hospital in Iceland 2012-2013. After returning to Umeå, he has continued his research mainly focused on glaucoma. Gauti has published numerous scientific peer-reviewed articles. He serves as the Treasurer of the Swedish Glaucoma Society and is an Associate Editor and Member of the Editorial Board of Acta Ophthalmologica.Gauti Johannesson, MD, Ph.D.Vice President of Medical Affairs
- Stefan Jokull Sveinsson joined Oculis' board of directors in June 2016 and has since then also served as an Executive Consultant for Oculis. Stefan currently also works as an independent consultant for various other pharmaceutical and life science companies as well as for private equity companies. Stefan acts as board director in several companies in Iceland including Akthelia, KeyNatura and SagaMedica. He is also a scientific advisory board member for Enzymatica AB in Sweden.Stefán Jökull SveinssonExecutive Consultant
Stefan has over 23 years of experience in the pharmaceuticals industry. From 1993 to 2014 he worked at Actavis in Iceland and in Switzerland, holding various technical and executive positions including Executive Vice President for the Global R&D operations and Senior Vice President for Specialty Pharmaceutical Development. Stefan served as a member of the Executive Board and Executive Team of Actavis. He also held Board of Director positions for Actavis in various companies in India, Denmark and Iceland. Prior to his industrial carrier, Stefan held an assistant professor position at the Department of Pharmacy, University of Iceland and he has published over thirty scientific papers. Stefan received his education MSc in Pharmaceutics at the University of Iceland and Dalhousie University Canada.